Monday, May 7, 2012

Things Made of Awesome, Part One


1.       To Kill a Mockingbird

Re-reading this. Love love love it, and am now much more appreciative of the stunning awesomeness that is Atticus Finch. Also it makes me get all weepy and teary and thoughtful, and besides that it is just a really good story. And very, very quote-worthy. 

2.       The Legend of Korra 

Did anybody else watch Avatar: The Last Airbender? I will go totally geek on you and admit that I did, and I loved it (mostly because of Sokka. Sokka was The Awesome). Anyway, this is kind of a sequel series—same world, seventy years later—and I’m ashamed to admit it but I think I might love it even more than the original (maybe). A quick rundown of its awesomeness: sassy main character, 1920s-ish steam punk setting (love this so much), gorgeous animation, creepy villain-with-motives (and not just the “some men want to see the world burn” Joker motives), and awesome trio-completing friends for Korra (is it weird to have a crush on an animated character? Because the aforementioned friends are boys, and they are attractive boys, and there is much awesome potential-romance going on here). The whole thing is kind of cheesy and indulgent, but in the best possible way. It’s just fun. 

3.       10 Things I Hate About You 

I watched The Prince and Me today, which features Julia Stiles, which made me want to watch the above-mentioned movie. I’ve seen it once, with my brother, about six months ago, and just loved it. Teen movies used to be so cool! And so…realistic. Like, the actors who played teenagers were actually teenagers. And not twenty-seven-year-olds trying to pass as teenagers. Anyway. Among my favorite scenes and lines: when Kat backs into the resident jerk’s car and her father (Larry Miller. Hilarious) tells her that their insurance does not cover PMS, and when Bianca punches out said jerk at the prom (“That’s for my date, that’s for my sister, and that’s for me.”) in a very heroic, date-saving, sister-defending kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment