Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Character Naming Crisis, or: Woohoo! Mental Anguish!


I’m deep in the middle of a character-naming crisis, people. 

This is not as serious as other writing crises that I could be having (“The plot is nonexistent, the villain is laughable, and the main character is an airhead, but at least the spelling is immaculate”) but it is not fun in the moment. Kind of like, oh, I don’t know…having a cold. You know that you could be having a much more serious disease, like bronchitis or the plague. It doesn’t matter. You still feel like death warmed over. 

The main problem with this crisis is that the character I am trying desperately to name ALREADY HAS A NAME. Yes! That’s right! This problem is purely self-imposed! Woohoo! Mental anguish! 

And the thing that really gets me is that I do this on a regular basis. Sometimes I get bored of the name in question, and sometimes the character itself has changed so much that the name is no longer suitable (“Well, she used to be a lovely blonde-haired girl named Mary Sally Sunshine, but then she turned Goth halfway through the brainstorming process”). 

Right now I’m weighing pros and cons (“Al reminds me of Al Gore!” “But the other one is my cousin’s name!”), and so far it is coming out on the side of the already-established name. This is both boring and relieving, as it means I don’t have to go through drafts and change the name every time it comes up. But it also means I have gone through the mental anguish for nothing. 

Drat.

No comments:

Post a Comment